Property Tax Relief Programs

Tax Relief can be in the form of tax exemptions which can reduce taxes owed for those who qualify, tax deferral which is an agreement where the homeowner pays taxes at a later date.  Sherborn’s Tax Aid Fund is a charitable fund or the senior or veteran’s work off program can also help.  Call and speak with the Town Assessor’s Office for more information.  For those filing tax returns, the Senior Circuit Breaker Tax Credit can also offer some relief.

Tax exemptions, unlike abatements, do not affect the property, but simply reduce taxes owed if you qualify under one of these categories: you are a person over 65, disabled Veteran or his/her surviving spouse, or a blind person. Please contact the Town Assessor’s office for application and filing deadlines.

Tax Deferral: If qualified, you may enter into a tax deferral agreement for all or a portion of property taxes owed. Please contact the Town Assessor’s office for more information.

Senior Tax Work Off allows those over 65 who are eligible to work in a town department. Work is paid an hourly wage and the “wages” are applied to property taxes as an abatement, reducing taxes owed.
Contact the Assistant Town Administrator at 508-720-4308.

Veteran Tax Work Off is similar to the Senior Tax Work Off program but for veterans of any age who qualify. Contact the Veteran Service Officer at 508-651-7851

Circuit Breaker Tax Credit is a tax refund or rebate for those 65 or older and have property taxes that are a substantial portion of their income. Contact the Sherborn COA at 508-651-7858 or the Mass. Department of Revenue 800-392-6089 or visit

Neighbors Helping Neighbors

Sherborn’s Tax Aid Fund

Please consider donating to Sherborn’s Elder and Disabled Tax Aid Fund. This fund provides financial assistance to Sherborn homeowners, many who are longtime residents. Donations have dropped dramatically the last several years, while the need for assistance has grown. Any amount would be greatly appreciated.

The town encourages homeowners who qualify to apply for assistance. If you are in need of assistance, or would like to donate, please check the Town’s website. You may also contact the Town Treasurer for more information at [email protected]. Thank you!